Tuesday 22 April 2014

System of a Down - Live at Whiskey A-Go-Go '97

System of a Down are easily one of my favorite bands out there. Their abrasive political views, their anger infused shouts for social equality, their bizarre lyricism, and just the awesome weirdness of the band members' personalities all combine to create one awesome package. Since the band took a hiatus they haven't created original music as SOAD, but Serj Tankian has had a solid solo career (not as solid as with System, although he is probably one of my favorite people alive), and Daron Malakian released the critically lackluster Scars on Broadway (which I found to be a lot of fun with some solid tracks). 

I will forever and always love the first self-titled album from System of a Down and once upon a time I stumbled on this early show they did at Whiskey A-Go-Go in 1997. The recording isn't great, the edit cutting needlessly between band and audience at a rapid pace, but the low-budget videotape of the 90's captures a unique quality to the image that harnesses the raw power of System's early material. Here are a few of my favorite performances:


Soil
This may be one of my all-time favorite songs from SOAD. The guitar-solo from Daron is fantastic, especially when it is coupled with Serj's wacky dance moves (he dances quite a lot like me actually). The raw power in Serj's early vocals is very unique compared to his later material, where he obviously screams and growls a lot less. What I like most about System is that they have a point they are trying to make, even if it is hidden beneath layers of symbolic absurdism and a wall of nu-metal sound.

Suit-Pee
I've seen a lot of Youtube comments discussing who the weird guy doing the deep nasally growls is during the breakdown, and a lot of people believe it is Sako - the guy named in Sugar that Serj bought a gun that fits in his pocket. I don't know, but I actually kind of like that part of this performance - the deep growls remind me of Halloween with the evil laughter and I think of the tree from Poltergeist. It isn't best example of quality death metal, but the coupling between the creepy bellows and Serj's incessant vulgarities is the heaven to the hell of the slow down-tuned instruments. Also, just before they explode into a deliciously heavy breakdown, Daron screams out "come on motherfucker!" and that cry of sheer empowerment just gets me pumped!

Mind
Repetition and pattern is a key to great art that has a message and this is demonstrated well here, especially in the lyrics. Serj repeating the line "look at each other" is something that I think society needs to hear, which is even more relevant today where almost all of us are absorbed into our phones and social media. Maybe we should all actually look at each other now and then. Serj's frustration with the state of people's minds is evident in his performance and it brings out the best within him, and some of his best death growls to date. He is angry at the world and he means what he says. Daron and Shavo, on bass, blast away through the metal riffage, adding a level of frantic energy that only seems to dissipate through Serj's (unique?) dancing.


Sugar
The classic song from SOAD that all my high school friends knew the iconic "sugarrrrrrr" from Daron Malakian. At 1:57 the lead guitarist unleashes a crazy banshee shriek and crazy eyes that just gives me goosebumps. It makes me think - what the fuck? - but it also makes me grin like an idiot. I love these guys! Shavo's bass line leads the group through the song coupled with Daron's medolies carrying the harshness of Serj's mantras. The end of the song ends with a repetition of "in the end it all goes away" with a hardcore nu-metal thrash-out. In the end it all goes away - this simple lyric has so many meanings, but none more than the fact that the System of 1997 are past this moment and living out another.

No comments:

Post a Comment