Monday 12 May 2014

Schoolyard Heroes

Today I want to share with you one of my personal favorite music artists. I started listening to Schoolyard Heroes a few years ago and was sad to discover they had broken up after the release of the their third full album. 

The band, who can only be described as an alternative conjuration of horror punk, create a wonderful array of sounds with the macabre lyrics of Ryan Donnelly (who has a hauntingly weird voice on her) matched up with the sometimes-spooky-sometimes-hardcore punk rock of the guitar, bass, and drums. Their songs are obvious references to a slew of B-picture horror films ("Panic in the Year Zero"), or weird fiction stories by the likes of Stephen King ("Sometimes They Come Back") and Richard Matheson ("Nightmare at 20,000 Feet"). They may be the epitome of horror-themed lyricism in music, borrowing heavy hallmarks from previous groups like The Misfits or The Bauhaus. I'd like to share one song from each of their albums (which I just had to order online to have my own copies). Take my hand and listen, my friend, to the Schoolyard Heroes:

The Mechanical Man VS The Robot From The Outer Limits
from The Funeral Sciences

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
from Fantastic Wounds

Cemetery Girls
from Abominations

PS: It was really hard to pick only one song from each album, because I truly love each and every song this group produced. In the future I may share a few other favorites. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment